Anthony de Francisci, Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club, 1948, lead/cast, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Gift of Mrs. Anthony de Francisci, 1966.51.53
The Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club was founded in September 1871 aboard William L. Swan’s sloop Glance, anchored off Soper’s Point, New York. The club, now located at Oyster Bay, is the second oldest yachting group in the United States. Ralph Ellis, the Seawanhaka commodore, donated the money for a commemorative medal, and in 1948, Anthony de Francisci cast this lead artist’s strike, or sample. The irregular edges mark this as a “splasher,” in which the molten metal was stamped with the die to gauge the sharpness of the image.
Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club
- Not on view
3 in. (7.6 cm) diam.
- Credit Line
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Gift of Mrs. Anthony de Francisci
- Mediums Description
- Object – other – shell
- Animal – dolphin
- Object Number
- Linked Open Data
- Linked Open Data URI