Also Known as: William A. Christenberry, Jr., Bill Christenberry, William Andrew Christenberry
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 1936
Washington, District of Columbia 2016
Luce Artist Quote
“Everything that means anything to me---morality, integrity, close family ties, my heritage, the land---comes from the South, from the place where I grew up.” William Christenberry, quoted in The Washington Post,
Born in Alabama. An artist of national acclaim, equally known for his photographs of the South and his disturbing sculptural pieces.
Nora Panzer, ed. Celebrate America in Poetry and Art (New York and Washington, D.C.: Hyperion Paperbacks for Children in association with the National Museum of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, 1994)
Luce Artist Biography
As a young man, William Christenberry often traveled the back roads of the South with his father. He studied painting as a graduate student at the
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: An Appreciation for Artist William Christenberry
- Eye Level: A Thanksgiving Gift from Artist Harry Cimino
- Eye Level: Ask the Artist: William Christenberry
- Eye Level: iChiaroscuro
- Eye Level: Round-Table Discussion with Christenberry, Bates ...
- Eye Level: Christenberry on the Landscape
- Eye Level: A Democracy of Images
- Eye Level: SAAM Launches Photography Podcast
- Eye Level: Happy Birthday to Clarice Smith (the Lecture ...
- Eye Level: Photography Encouraged: Noguchi Edition