Join us on July 22nd from 11:30 AM to 7 PM for games, good times, and more!
SAAM Arcade is an annual event presented by the Smithsonian American Art Museum with support from IGDA DC, MAGFest, and the Entertainment Software Association. The Arcade is a family-friendly event where hundreds of people an hour may play your game. This year, SAAM Arcade will be held on July 22, 2018 and will feature a selective group of independent developers whose works are centered on a particular theme. We have selected a group of developers to showcase their work at this year’s program, and we are so excited to share their work with you!
This year's theme for indie developers is... GAME SPACES.
Interactive media engages audiences with a variety of spaces: artistic spaces, public spaces, and social spaces, that capture the imagination and bring us together. This summer, SAAM Arcade will focus on “game spaces” as a connecting idea that links video games to art, architecture, and the museum as a space for discovery and engagement.
This year, we asked for:
- Games that make interesting use of space, board, or level design.
- Games that transform the real-world spaces in which they are played.
- Games that are inspired by or that inspire a strong community or social space.
SAAM Arcade will also feature vintage consoles and arcade cabinets from MAGFest and Arcades4Home, along with games from Mega Cat Studios, coding workshops with Boolean Girl, and a lecture to celebrate the birth of legendary media artist Nam June Paik.
2018 Indie Games
Also featuring arcade cabinets and consoles from:
IN THE NEWS
- Washington Post : The Hotlist : 11 things to see, eat, drink and do in January 2016
- Tech Void : Annual Indie Arcade Hosted at American University's Game Lab
- Gamasutra : Smithsonian now accepting applications for second 'indie arcade'
- Brightest Young Things : Recap: Indie Arcade @ Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Gamasutra : Smithsonian plans pop-up arcade for December; submissions open now
- DCInno : AU Game Lab Opened a Video Game Arcade at the Smithsonian Over the Holidays
SAAM Arcade is supported by
Entertainment Software Association Foundation with in-kind support provided by Intel. The Washington City Paper is the official media sponsor for this program.
For more information email us at SAAMArcade@si.edu.