American Art Journal
A peer-reviewed journal of the nation’s visual heritage
Since its founding in 1987, American Art has been an indispensable resource for scholars, collectors, and museum-goers who want to enrich their understanding of the nation’s art and culture. American Art encompasses all aspects of the country’s visual heritage from colonial to contemporary times. Elegant color plates give the journal a distinctive appearance, and the articles are written in an engaging style.
The Summer 2018 issue of American Art includes:
- Facingness in George Caleb Bingham’s River Paintings, by David Peters Corbett
- Naming: Heteronymy and the Imaginary Artists of George Herms, by Monica Steinberg
- Expanding Abstract Expressionism: Elaine de Kooning, Action Painting, and the American West, by Amy Von Lintel and Bonnie Roos
- Art Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and American Modernism, by Jackson Davidow
- Winslow Homer and Women’s Bathing Practices in Eagle Head, Manchester, Massachusetts (High Tide), by Elizabeth L. Block
The Summer 2017 issue of American Art celebrated the journal’s thirtieth anniversary with thirty invited authors commenting on three themes: Archive, Landscape, and Shifting Terrain.
Subscribe to American Art
A one-year subscription for individuals costs $50, and provides full online access to all back issues of American Art. Members of Friends of the Smithsonian, Smithsonian National Associates, American Studies Association, and the College Art Association receive subscriptions at the discounted price of $40. The rate for students is $35. Higher rates apply for institutions.
For information on subscribing, purchasing single issues, or submitting articles to the journal, which is published for the museum by the University of Chicago Press, please visit http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/amart. This link also acts as a portal to the electronic edition of the journal.
Write for American Art
American Art is published in March, July, and November. The journal considers submissions in a variety of formats, including feature-length essays, commentaries, new perspectives, and paired perspectives. For more information, see Journal Author Submission Guidelines.
For information on a publication prize for foreign scholars, resulting in publication in American Art, please see the Terra Foundation for American Art International Essay Prize.
Access the Journal
Browse all issues of American Art, 1987 to present