2022 Fellows Lectures
Over three afternoons, the Smithsonian American Art Museum’s 2021–2022 research fellows presented new scholarship on a range of topics, time periods, and media. This series of recorded lectures highlights a new generation of scholars who are pushing boundaries and helping us understand the importance of examining and re-examining American art through new perspectives. SAAM’s premier fellowship program is the oldest and largest program for the study of American art.
Wednesday, May 4 (Watch the Recording)
Session I: 1:00–2:45 p.m. ET
Moderator: Karen Lemmey, the Lucy S. Rhame Curator of Sculpture
- Fábio D'Almeida, Terra Foundation of American Art Postdoctoral Fellow, Forum für Kunstgeschichte, Paris
“Forging the Fallen Shawnee Chief: Ferdinand Pettrich’s The Dying Tecumseh"
- Kelvin Parnell, Wyeth Foundation Predoctoral Fellow (deferred from 2020–2021), University of Virginia
- Giuseppe Rizzo, predoctoral fellow, Smithsonian Institution (deferred from 2020–2021), Ruprecht Karl Universität
“The Art of Bronze: Transmission of Taste and Techniques for Public Statues from Florence to the US in the Nineteenth Century”
Session II: 3:00–5:15 p.m. ET
Moderator: Virginia Mecklenburg, Senior Curator
- Ali Printz, William H. Truettner Predoctoral Fellow (deferred from 2020–2021), Tyler School of Art, Temple
"Progress and Regress: The Creation of the Appalachian Stereotype in Mass Visual Culture"
- Rebecca Giordano, Patricia and Philip Frost Predoctoral Fellow, University of Pittsburgh
"Formal Relations: African Art and Cultural Anthropology in Hale Woodruff’s the Art of the Negro"
- Samantha Noël, Terra Foundation of American Art Senior Fellow, Wayne State University
"The Diasporic Dimensions of David Hammons's Dreadlock Series"
- Robb Hernández, senior fellow in Latinx Art, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Fordham University
"Transplanetary: Speculative Aesthetics in Art of the Americas"
Thursday, May 5 (Watch the Recording)
Session III: 1:00–2:45 p.m. ET
Moderator: Mary Savig, the Lloyd Herman Curator of Craft, Renwick Gallery
- Amanda Thompson, predoctoral fellow, Smithsonian Institution (deferred from 2020–2021), Bard Graduate Center
“Seminole and Miccosukee Palmetto Dolls and Women's Negotiation of Settler Colonialism in South Florida, c. 1930s-1950s”
- Matthew Limb, Douglass Foundation Predoctoral Fellow (deferred from 2020–2021), University of California, Santa Barbara
"Sing with the Earth: Experimentation and Liberation in Glen Lukens’s Desert Ceramics, 1923-1967"
- Sara Morris, predoctoral fellow in American craft, Smithsonian Institution, University of California, Santa Barbara
“Viola Frey: Taking Matter(s) into Her Own Hands”
Session IV: 3:00–5:15 p.m. ET
Moderator: Saisha Grayson, Curator of Time-Based Media
- Christine Filippone, Terra Foundation of American Art Senior Fellow in American Art, Millersville University of Pennsylvania
“Disordering Circuits and Borders: Open Systems and Institutional Critique in Argentina”
- Olga Tchepikova-Treon, Big Ten Academic Alliance Smithsonian Institution Predoctoral Fellow, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
“Aesthetic Intensities: Epilepsy in Paul Sharits’s Flicker Films”
- Rachel Vogel, Patricia and Phillip Frost Predoctoral Fellow (deferred from 2020–2021), Harvard University
“Limited Edition / Limited Ownership: Douglas Huebler’s Participatory Prints"
- Kaegan Sparks, William H. Truettner Predoctoral Fellow, City University of New York, The Graduate Center
“‘To feel in the gut, to gather up in the head’: Mierle Laderman Ukeles, Systems Thinking, and the Trouble with Visibility”
Friday, May 6 (Watch the Recording)
Session V: 1:00–2:45 p.m. ET
Moderator: Eleanor Jones Harvey, Senior Curator
- Nora Lessersohn, Joe and Wanda Corn Predoctoral Fellow, University College London
“The Oriental Lecturer: Instructive Entertainment in Nineteenth-Century America”
- Chloe Chapin, Joe and Wanda Corn Predoctoral Fellow (deferred from 2020–2021), Harvard University
“Tailoring as Portraiture: The New Art of Measuring and the Science of Seeing”
Session VI: 3:00–5:15 p.m. ET
Moderator: Eleanor Jones Harvey, Senior Curator
- Alexis Monroe, Douglass Foundation Predoctoral Fellow, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University
- Elizabeth Hutchinson, senior fellow, Smithsonian Institution (deferred from 2020–2021), Barnard College, Columbia University
"The Materialities of Eadweard Muybridge's 1875 Photographs of Guatemala”
- Choghakate Kazarian, Terra Foundation of American Art Predoctoral Fellow, The Courtauld Institute of Art
"Improving with Age: Albert Pinkham Ryder’s Mellowing Paintings”
- Elliot Krasnopoler, George Gurney Predoctoral Fellow, Bryn Mawr College
"Sally Mann and the Soils of the South"
Image: Photos of fellows, courtesy of subjects