Louis Linck studied at the National School of Decorative Arts in Paris. In the 1920s he won a competition sponsored by the Northwestern Terra Cotta Company of Chicago and moved to Illinois to work for them. He was employed by the American Art Bronze Foundry for several years, making models of plaques and medals, and also worked for Chicagos Century of Progress Exposition. In 1935 he was hired by the Federal Art Project to design several pieces of public sculpture. The FAP was a New Deal program that supported art education across the United States.