Gorham Manufacturing Company, Renwick Sand Shaker, ca. 1825-1875, hammered and incised silver, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Julian Kaye, 1976.148
This silver sand shaker belonged to James Renwick Jr. (1818-1895), the architect of the Castle, which was the first building to house the Smithsonian Institution's collections. He also designed the building that is now home to the Smithsonian American Art Museum's Renwick Gallery, near the White House. Julian and Clara Kaye acquired this piece from their daughter-in-law, who was Renwick's niece, and donated it to the Museum in 1976. Beautiful handwriting was a mark of refinement in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and an elegant writing set with a sand shaker, inkwell, and penholder reflected its owner's sophistication.
Renwick Sand Shaker
- ca. 1825-1875
- On View
- Not on view.
3 1/4 x 1 7/8 in. (8.4 x 4.8 cm) diam.
- Credit Line
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Julian Kaye
- Mediums Description
- hammered and incised silver
- Object Number
- Linked Open Data
- Linked Open Data URI