- Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
- Not on view
- 25 in. × 18 in. × 7 1⁄2 in. (63.5 × 45.7 × 19.1 cm)
- © 2020, Estate of Nancy Worden
- Credit Line
- Gift of the Estate of Nancy Worden
- Mediums Description
- silver, glass, wool, plastic, nylon, fur, leather, feathers and steel
- Dress — accessory
- Object Number
The Me Too movement of 2017 encouraged victims of sexual abuse and harassment to share their stories and make demands for accountability. Nancy Worden reflected on her own memories of sexual harassment as she crafted this necklace, subverting its status as a luxury item into a relevant political statement. The coin purses reference the crude euphemism for a woman’s vagina, while the work gloves make visceral the feeling of unwanted touch. In Worden’s experience, claims of sexual harassment were often dismissed, but the victims never forgot.
The artwork encompasses Worden’s study of the lived experiences of American women through jewelry.
This Present Moment: Crafting a Better World, 2022