As we celebrate Earth Month, many of us are looking to be more environmentally conscious in our choices. Using just a few simple materials you likely have at home, including a milk jug destined for the recycling bin, let’s make a planter! Learn more about reusing household materials to make crafts on our Family Zone and register to join us for our Virtual May Day Family Celebration featuring Bash the Trash, a group that makes instruments from recycled materials!
Recycled Material Planter
- Plastic jug or container (washed)
- Sharp scissors
- Waterproof paint or markers
- With the help of an adult, draw a straight line with the marker and ruler around the bottom of the jug. You want to make a planter about 3.5 to 4 inches tall.
- Using the scissors, cut along the line to create the planter. Cut carefully so you don’t have jagged edges.
- Using the scissors, poke 2 to 4 holes in the bottom of the planter for drainage
- Paint the outside of the planter and let dry
- Add a plant