Charles Lang Freer Medal (obverse)

  • Paul Manship, Charles Lang Freer Medal (obverse), 1955, bronze, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Bequest of Paul Manship, 1966.47.130

Luce Center Label

Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919) manufactured railroad cars in Detroit until he retired in 1900. He established the Smithsonian’s Freer Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., to house his collection of Asian art, as well as paintings and decorative arts created by James McNeill Whistler. The obverse of Paul Manship’s medal depicts Freer and the neoclassical building on the National Mall designed by Charles Adams Platt (see 1965.16.98 and 1965.16.99) to house Freer’s collection.

Title
Charles Lang Freer Medal (obverse)
Artist
Date
1955
On View
Not on view.
Dimensions
3 1/4 in. (8.3 cm) diam.
Credit Line

Smithsonian American Art Museum

Bequest of Paul Manship

Mediums
Mediums Description
bronze
Classifications
Keywords
  • Occupation – other – philanthropist
  • Portrait male – Freer, Charles Lang – head
  • Occupation – industry
  • Architecture Exterior – art building – Freer Gallery of Art
Object Number
1966.47.130
Palette
Linked Open Data
Linked Open Data URI

More from artist

1932
gilded bronze on lapis lazuli base
1932
gilded bronze on lapis lazuli base
1932
gilded bronze on lapis lazuli base
1932
gilded bronze on lapis lazuli base
1932
gilded bronze on lapis lazuli base
1932
gilded bronze on lapis lazuli base
1912-1914
bronze on marble base

More Artworks from the Collection

2005
painted steel with chromed aluminum base
late 19th-early 20th century
carved and painted wood and metal
1930s-1940s
terra cotta on wood base